Unlike big business owners, small business owners have the burden of taking care of every single aspect of their business – recruitment, marketing, finance, accounts, managing employees to managing vendors, and so forth. But here I focused only on books that can help you gain clarity and focus in building your business. Here are the top 10 books on building your small business which I believe are helpful for new as well as established small business owners.
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu – This book has helped many businesses gain focus in order to streamline the thought patterns needed to attain success – and it works for any niche, industry, target audience or tribe. You will be amazed at how you can put these war strategies to work for you!
- The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard – If you struggle to stay motivated, this book will guide you through nine specific declarations that will help you gain control of your life, both personally and professionally. Knowing what you need to do to become and stay motivated could be the piece you are missing. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up soon.
- No Excuses! By Brian Tracy – Do you find yourself making excuses for the choices you make and the steps you take in your business? Brian Tracy helps you to see that your responsibility begins with even the smallest steps – whether you are wasting time, dollars or employees – you must own those decisions to move forward.
- Managing Oneself by Peter F. Drucker – This is a small book but it packs a big punch. One of the Harvard Business Review Classics, you can’t go wrong taking the time to learn about managing your own life and how that impacts EVERYTHING!
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles – This was one book that changed the landscape for me. Realizing that becoming rich is not about luck, positioning or any other external thing you can think of – it is wholly from within. Who knew it was really a science? Surprised me, and I bet it will surprise you too.
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill – No list of business books would be complete without this one. Interestingly enough, it follows closely the premises in the previously mentioned book by Wattles. It brings out a full discussion of priorities and provides for nothing outside of yourself to be the catalyst to earning your wealth.
- Expert Secrets by Russell Brunson – Although this book is targeted to the online business community, everything in it also applies to a brick and mortar business. You are an expert at something – this book will help you see how to use that knowledge to shine your light into the audience who can best use your help.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl – This book is a must-read for everyone. Once you realize that the last thing you control is your attitude, you will understand. Frankl’s experiences in the Death Camps during the Holocaust will leave you in awe of the human spirit and the drive to survive.
- Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz – This book follows along with the same premises of #5 and #6. Your success is intimately connected to your thoughts. If you ponder negative thoughts, these will be realized in your business (and personal) life. Thinking positively and having an attitude of gratitude can change your direction in phenomenal ways.
- Life’s Golden Ticket by Brendon Burchard – If you want a business book that reads as a parable, this might be the one that trips your trigger. This NYT Best Seller will open your eyes to a new view of the world and yourself. A quick and easy read, this is a great way to discover Burchard’s work.
These are the Top 10 books that helped me to gain more clarity and focus in my own business – and are in no particular order of importance. They each bring a new look at what you need to do to pin down exactly what you are trying to do so you can just go and DO IT!
Please feel free to comment if you wish to add a different book to this list. Perhaps I have missed one that you found very helpful, I would love to hear about it.